Thursday 22 April 2010

Hot off the Press!

A little while ago, I blogged about quality control and how a print run of my cards didn't pass my own high standards and needed to be re-printed.

Not only did the great people at St. Andrews Press agree without hesitation, they also invited me - and my camera - along to see how my designs are turned into cards. It was fascinating to see the print process in action and see, first hand, the care and attention that goes in to this critical part of the dots and spots process.

Examining the design dot by dot - dots and spots seemed particularly apt as I saw how the printed cards would be made up from hundreds of dots.

Making final adjustments before printing.

The press whirrs into life - suckers suck up the card to enter the printing press.


The ink wells that provide all the colour.

The mighty machines that do the work!

Checking the colour levels of the first print.

Nearly ready!

Hot off the Press!

Into the guillotine for cutting and trimming.


And now head over to dots and spots to see the finished goods.


A HUGE



to Steve for taking the time to show me around and all the team for putting up with me,

on what sometimes seems like a daily basis!

4 comments:

joy said...

oh wow, that brings back so many memories, my dad was a jobbing printer and I worked for him back in the 60s, I can still smell the ink and the paper, and I still have a passion for cards and stationery. brill, thanks for sharing

Suzy's Vintage Attic said...

Just the kind of thing that I find interesting. I love seeing how things are done. You must have loved seeing the start to finish process.

Warm wishes
Isabelle x

Unknown said...

Fabulous Becky - reminds me of my days as a product manager for CArd Connection 10 years ago. I spotted some lovely Christmas designs amongst the new designs too :) X Gabs

WinnibriggsHouse said...

What a great tour. Really enjoyed seeing the whole process, and the end results now look fab.