Friday 8 February 2013

Last night I .......

....joined a choir!

For years I've enjoyed programme's such as The Choir and Gareth Malone's, Military Wives. I LOVED the London Gay Men's Chorus sing in Convent Garden this Christmas. I've always gone on 'There should be a choir in Shepton, if there was, I'd join!' 


So last night, as Jeff flicked through the Journal he came across this piece (above) and said 'You're Going'. Of course I protested, I didn't want to be dragged out of my warm house at 7.30 on a Thursday evening. But he wouldn't take 'No' for an answer and less than 2 hours later, I was being dropped off at Peter Street Rooms. My stomach churning,  not feeling brave in the slightest, I entered a room full of complete strangers. 2 hours later, I was picked up having thoroughly enjoyed myself!


It was a slightly surreal experience, I haven't sung in a choir since I was a school girl. I enjoy singing on my own, I enjoyed singing with the children, I enjoyed singing as a teacher so I guess, there was no reason why I shouldn't have enjoyed singing here. It's a very small, eclectic group who were very welcoming and Guy the Choir Master was full of enthusiasm. It needs more members (there were only 13 of us), so if you do live in Shepton Mallet and like to sing, come along. It's not on next week as it's half term, so Thursday the 21st of February 7.30 - 9.30 in Peter Street Rooms, is the next one. 

I'll be there - come along too if you're local and like to sing.

6 comments:

Vintage from the Village said...

Good to hear about the choir. I have just joined one as well. Our school have started one for parents, teachers or anyone involved in our school. I am not very good but I do enjoy it. Hve fun !
Sue x

lizzieM said...

How fab! Wish I was a bit nearer to Shepton, i would definitely go...might tell my mum though, she's in pilton and she's amazing. xxx

Claire said...

Brilliant! Like you and Sue I have just joined a choir too! It is also at my children's school. Very small at the moment but we're hoping more will join after half term. I always go in feeling stressed and leave relaxed, happy and singing! We'll have to start a bloggers choir! :-) x

annie's abode said...

good for you - i've always fancied joining a rock choir but cannot summon the courage to go alone.
anniex

Anonymous said...

Recently discovered your fab blog via the article in a home magazine. I love your style!
How great it is that you have joined this choir! I just wish I lived nearer!! Mandy :)

dots and spots said...

It was fun - haven't done something like that before - walk in a room of strangers but I enjoyed the actual singing. Sadly it won't continue unless more join